Hunger Action Team Network – Community Resources, Events & Sharing (This was sent to East Windsor HAT)
JOB Training Opportunities:
CT’s Workforce Boards (through CARES Act funding) are offering FREE JOB training in the following fields:
Contact the American Job Center @ (860) 406-3374 Press 1; Mon-Fri 9:00am–4:00pm
- Finance – Bookkeeping Clerk (over $20/hr.) or Insurance Sales Associate (over $20/hr.) after 12 week training
- Info Technology – Web developers, User Support, Software developers – over 800+ open positions
- Transportation – Truck Driver ($22.40/hr.) after 3 months training
- Manufacturing – over 180 skills being taught, such as automation, hydraulics and robotics
- Healthcare – Certified Nurse’s Aide ($15 – $20/hr.) after 4 week training
- Benefits of the above programs: $200 stipend for each week of training, Chromebook if needed, funds for training gear, and basic needs (childcare, transportation, housing); and they will work to directly connect you with employment afterward.
Call Yolanda Rivera @ (860) 899-3448 or email@example.com
ORIENTATION EVERY THURSDAY 10 am at Veeder Place, 20 Sargeant St., 3rd Floor, Hartford.
o Introduction to Mechanical Trades – begins Oct 5th for 5 weeks
o CT Women Can Weld – begins in January 2021 for 10 weeks
o Introduction to Drywall Finishing – begins in January 2021 for 4 weeks
See attached flyers for specific details.
FREE Financial Coaching to Help CT Residents Facing Hardships from COVID-19
- When so much of life is uncertain, the greatest concerns for many involve personal finances. Now, CT residents who need help dealing with creditors, finding resources, or managing their money have access to TrustPlus, a free virtual or telephone financial coaching program brought to you by United Way’s ALICE Saves and Neighborhood Trust Financial Partners.
- How To Sign Up – Visit go.neighborhoodtrust.org/8w57. Click the button “Sign Up” and select the Neighborhood Trust Budget Coach you prefer. Choose the best time within the next few days to speak with your coach by phone or Skype for 30 minutes. Take advantage of FREE lifetime access to financial coaching.
2020 Connecticut United Ways ALICE Report:
- The 2020 Connecticut United Ways ALICE Report exposes the current economic vulnerability of many residents, who, in addition to dealing with longstanding financial challenges, are now also struggling with the economic fall-out of COVID-19: furloughs, job losses, and an inability to pay bills and provide for their families.
- This year’s report reviews trends in the state such as:
- More families continue to struggle to make ends meet.
- People of color are disproportionately affected by both the economic consequences of the Great Recession and COVID-19. Black and Hispanic households have a disproportionately high percentage of families below the ALICE Threshold.
- The Household Survival Budget in Connecticut continues to increase.
- Access to affordable childcare is a big issue for ALICE.
- Inequality in income and wealth will continue to rise as wage growth and job stability in high-wage jobs greatly outpace growth and stability in low wage jobs.
- We invite you to read the full ALICE Report, here.
ReSET’s Master Class for Social Enterprise Business Owners & Entrepreneurs:
- Measure What Matters – four 1 hour virtual classes on Sundays from 4-5pm Oct 25 thru Nov 15
Measure What Matters is designed for the business owner who wants to be a leader in prioritizing purpose alongside profit. This course is recommended for small to medium size businesses that have at least 2 paid employees. The B Impact Assessment can be applied to business in every industry, whether you are a manufacturing company with a significant supply chain or you are a finance start-up.
- Emily Reisner, reSET’s Director of Strategic Advancement, will be facilitating the live 1 hour Sunday sessions and will be available between classes for any questions or coaching requests.
- Course Fee: $199 – Register here
Foodshare seeks a Full Time Driver:
- Driver is responsible for making safe, professional, and timely pick-ups and deliveries of food while maintaining excellent relationships with food donors, partner agencies, and food recipients.
- Link to Job Description.
- To apply please submit a resume or work history to: HFDhiringfirstname.lastname@example.org .
Solar for ALL – Webinars hosted by Foodshare:
- Solar program is available to ALL homeowners in CT, including low income homeowners;
- No upfront cost, endorsed by the CT Green Bank, offers only a 20 year (fixed cost) lease
- Typical savings in CT over $700/year;
- Request Free assessment at www.posigen.com/solar-for-all-connecticut
- Webinars (45 minutes, includes live Q&A) for HAT members & their guests:
o Wednesday, Oct 7th @ 5:30 pm – click to register
o Thursday, Oct 15th @ 12 noon – click to register
Photo Essay Captures People Struggling to Feed Their Families:
- We thought you should take a look at this photo essay. It’s long, brutal and moving. As we know, nearly one in eight American households doesn’t have enough to eat today. Over three months, photographer Brenda Ann Kenneally captured the lives of people struggling to feed their families, in a photo essay for The Times Magazine (Click link).
Walk Against Hunger – Virtual Fundraiser:
- Happening NOW through Saturday, September 19th
- To Donate and/or Join a Team go to FoodshareWalk.org
- To post your virtual Walk on social media use #FoodshareWALK
- To benefit Foodshare and Participating Agencies – Thank you for your support!
Jim Palma and Sarah Hill
Community Network Builders
450 Woodland Ave, Bloomfield, CT 06002
email@example.com and firstname.lastname@example.org
Hunger is big. Our community is bigger.
Help your neighbors get the food they need today. Take Action >